October 17, 2010

CANDLEMASS Epicus Doomicus Metallicus


Album. Black Dragon Records 1986
This is about as classic as it gets. The debut album from Sweden's Candlemass has everything you would want from a Doom Metal album; great strong vocals, bombastic drums, heavy riffs and memorable melodies. Basically everything that makes you go 'mm.. doom'. "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" pointed the genre in the right direction and lead it to where it is today. Although a great album, it's not my favorite from Candlemass, as I think the follow-up, 1987's "Nightfall" is a bit stronger.    

The track "Demon's Gate" is probably the best of the bunch. That is if I had to pick one at gunpoint. I can admit though that I'm not a big fan of one particular guitar riff in "Black Stone Wielder". You probably know where I'm going with this. All of a sudden a riff from the Swedish poem/song "Gläns Över Sjö och Strand (Betlehems Stjärna)" enters the arrangement. This is a bit much for me. You had me at 'Styx', you don't have to go this deep to win me over. 

No comments: